Wednesday, March 10, 2010

3 out of 5 stars

Photoshop wouldn’t open today, and while the fix was only a computer start away, there were too many “legitimate” programs in the middle of tasks to warrant such an interruption. Yes, I actually mix drawing with work, and that’s why I get promotions, instead of pink slips.

So instead, let me review a movie that I saw last night-Alice in Wonderland. It is very interesting to me that a movie on the 3-D bandwagon can feel so one-dimensional. All the characters seemed to lack motivation, only popping to life when you looked at them, much like an animatronics Disney ride. The visuals are stunning, and Danny Elfman’s music (Batman, Beatlejuice, basically anything Tim Burton) delights as always. But nothing ever congeals. If anything it reconstructs the hazy mindset that the original author must have had, opium and all. The CG seemed very poor, but that might be a result of my not viewing the 3-D version. However in one instance, the knave (Chrispen Glover) had a body fully rendered in CGI, but it never does anything that the actor couldn’t. The only reason I could gleam is that they wanted to make him slightly taller and skinnier than reality, but I’m pretty sure Chrispen Glover already had the skinny down, and height could have been done without a full body transplant.

Decisions such as that, in league with a story that is more a series of reactions rather than a plot, and you have the movie. A feast for the eyes, yet your mind will be hungry an hour later.

No comments:

Post a Comment